Marriage Licenses

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Rhode Island’s Marriage Equality Law

As of August 1, 2013, same-sex marriage is legal in Rhode Island.  Also, as of August 1, 2013, Rhode Island will no longer allow couples to enter into a civil union.  Any person who otherwise meets the marriage eligibility requirements of R.I.G.L. Chapters 15-1 and 15-2 may marry any other marriage-eligible person.  Full marriage eligibility requirements may be found in R.I.G.L. Chapters 15-1 and 15-2, as amended by Public Law (PL) 2013-005 

Parties must appear together in person and may apply for marriages in the Newport City Clerk’s Office between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.  The license is valid for 3 months. 


  • If both persons live in Rhode Island, you may apply for a marriage license at the city or town hall where either party has legal residency;
  • If only one person lives in Rhode Island, you must apply for a marriage license from the city or town hall where the Rhode Island resident lives; 
  • If neither person lives in Rhode Island, you must apply for a marriage license from the city or town hall of the city or town in which the marriage ceremony will be performed.  Applicants for a marriage license must know the city or town in which the marriage will be solemnized.   


  • All applicants must provide CERTIFIED COPIES OF BIRTH CERTIFICATES which includes parents information from the City, Town State office or Foreign Country where the birth occurred when applying for a marriage license.  Photo copies and hospital records of birth are NOT accepted; 
  • Valid Government issued picture id;

  • If either person is a minor, additional requirements may apply.  Contact the City Clerk's office for more information about these additional requirements.    


  • Any person who, having been previously married or been a party to another relationship that provides substantially the same rights, benefits and responsibilities as a marriage, must prove that the marriage or relationship has ended to the City Clerk's Office before a license to marry is issued;  
  • The City Clerk must be presented with a CERTIFIED COPY (a copy that includes a raised state seal or similar mark) of the decree granting the divorce or an authenticated copy of the final dissolution of the previous relationship; 
  • If the other party to that relationship is deceased, a certified copy of the death certificate must be presented;   
  • If your question has not been answered here or if further clarification is needed, contact the City Clerk's  Office at 845-5340, 845-5341 or 845-5342.


Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Flash Player Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer