Newport Probate Court - Policies & Procedures
- Court sessions are held on the second and fourth Fridays of every month.
- Court sessions begin at 10:30 in the Council Chambers, City Hall, 43 Broadway, unless otherwise noted.
- Special sessions are held when the court deems it necessary.
- Attorneys are requested to sign in on the day of the court session.
- Petitions that require advertising must be filed in the office of the Probate Clerk no later than the Friday three (3) weeks prior to the scheduled court date. The advertisements will appear in the Wednesday edition of the Newport Daily News three times prior to the hearing date.
- Advertising fees are included in the Probate Fee Schedule. Please note that the advertising fees increase yearly in January.
The following are requirements for filing ancillary (foreign) proceedings in Newport Probate Court.
- Petition for filing a foreign will or administration P.C. 1.5
- Appointment of Agent form P.C. 3.5
- Authenticated (exemplified) copy of will and/or codicil, bond, certificate of appointment, petition, and decree allowing will and certified death certificate.
- Filing fee of $34.00
- Advertising fee of $46.00 (File Affidavit of Notice to heirs if petition must be advertised.)
If all heirs do not assent, a hearing date will be assigned upon receipt of all of the above.
Mail to: Probate Court
Newport, RI 02840
You may contact the Rhode Island Division of Taxation Inheritance Taxes at 222-6264. (The forms may be duplicated.)
If you have questions, you may contact the Probate Clerk at 401-845-5349.
For additional information, you may also research R.I. General Laws 33-7-18, 33-7-19, 33-7-20 and 33-7-25.
Change of Name
You must be eighteen years of age to change your name.Complete and file Change of Name form with a certified copy of your birth certificate and a BCI report. (Children under 18 do not need a BCI report.)
The (BCI) Background Criminal Investigation report can be obtained by contacting the Attorney Generals office at 274-4400.
Fees for filing a Change of Name Petition are $86.00, payable by money order or cash only.
The petition will be advertised in the local newspaper for three weeks and provide notice of the hearing date in Newport Probate Court.
Court meets the 2nd and 4th Friday of every month. Court sessions are held at 10:30 a.m. in the Council Chambers, City Hall, 43 Broadway.
The petitioner must be present at the hearing.
Once the name change has been granted, a certified copy will be mailed to the petitioner. For those born in Rhode Island, a document will be included that is to be sent to Vital Records in Providence in order for the original birth record to be changed.
*Please note- Name Changes for a minor are done in the Family Court*