RECYCLE YOUR CHRISTMAS TREE
Give your Christmas tree back to nature — recycle it! Christmas trees are due to be collected the second week of January (8th – 12th), on your normal collection day along with any other live decorations and yard waste that you may have. After the week of January 8-12, yard waste collection is not scheduled again until March 12-16, 2018.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Remove all artificial decorations such as tinsel, garland, ornaments, lights and bulbs.
- Put your Christmas tree out on your regularly scheduled collection day by 6:00 am.
- Please do not put trees in plastic bags.
- NO artificial trees will be collected.
Residential collections will be delayed one day following the Monday, December 25th Christmas and Monday, January 1st New Year’s Day holidays.
The Waste Management Transfer Station will be closed for the holidays on Monday, December 25th and Monday, January 1st. Please plan your visits accordingly.
BAN ON SINGLE-USE PLASTIC CARRYOUT BAGS - EFFECTIVE NOVEMBER 1, 2017
November 1, 2017 - The City Plastic Bag ordinance, which passed March 8th of this year, takes effect today. The ordinance will eliminate the distribution of single-use plastic carryout bags. The City is committed to working together with residents, businesses, environmental groups, and volunteers to provide leadership in environmental health and sustainability for our city and island. This ordinance recognized that single-use plastic carryout bags have greatly impacted our community by creating litter on our roadways, polluting the harbor, endangering wildlife, and adding unnecessary cost to waste management. The ordinance is part of Newport Re-Uses, an initiative that will help coordinate, communicate, and create action around stewardship of the environment. To learn more about the ordinance and the Newport Re-Uses initiative visit the website at www.newportreuses.com.
City Ordinance link:
|Missed Collections/Snow Delays||Waste Management||(401)847-0230|
|Driver Safety Concerns||Waste Management||(401)847-0230|
|Illegal Dumping||Newport Police||(401)847-1306|
|Clean City (Available 24/7)||Program Information||(401)845-5613|
|Clean City Staff||City Yard Office||(401)845-5617|
Clean City Quick Tips
- If you notice a bulky item(s) WITHOUT a BLUE bulk waste sticker in front of a property, feel free to share helpful information with your neighbor about the Bulk Waste sticker program. If item(s) have been left out for over 48 hours, residents are in violation of non-compliance and The Zoning Office can be notified at (401)845-5451. For more information on the Bulk Waste sticker program Click Here...
If you witness items being illegally dumped, please notify The Newport Police at (401)847-1306 immediately to report this illegal behavior. Please provide as much information as possible so a detailed report can be documented and investigations can ensue to deter future illegal dumping. Clean City only takes care of items illegally dumped on city property. Private property owners have to remove the item(s) from their property.
The Waste Management Transfer station is located on 65 Halsey Street. It is open Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. - 3:15 p.m. and they are closed from 11:45 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. for a lunch break. They are open Saturdays from 8:00 a.m. until 11:45 a.m. Homeowners must bring a current paper copy property tax bill or water bill along with a government issued ID to use their two free dumps up to 500 lb each load during each fiscal year (July 1st- June 30th of the next year). The homeowner MUST be present at the time of the dump NO EXCEPTIONS. Renters in Newport with a current lease or electric bill and government issued ID may use the transfer station at the rates set forth by Waste Management. Customers at the Waste Management Transfer Station are provided hard hats and safety vests that must be worn at the time of the dump. Government issues IDs and proper paperwork must be presented before each transaction. All items are accepted except for hazardous waste, bricks or concrete. For more information please call (401)848-5450. Please note that the City of Newport does NOT own the transfer station.
- If you want to report a missed collection (recycling, trash, yard waste, bulky items), please wait to report it until 4 p.m. on your collection day. You may then call Waste Management’s Missed Collections Line at (401)847-0230 to properly report it. Please make sure your carts are properly placed with no violations.
Clean City has a self-service recycling drop off stations located at 80 Halsey Street for cardboard, books, clothing, textiles, and scrap metal. At this time, we CANNOT accept any electronic waste for recycling. The Hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Click here for a helpful guide on how you can dispose of your electronic waste.