Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Questions about sports activities and events.

What types of youth baseball and softball programs are available?

In the spring, youth baseball is run by Newport Little League. The one league serves both the north or south section of the city. Both boys and girls are eligible.  Click here for more information

The girls softball league is also run by Newport Little League.  This serves girls ages 5- 15.  

Babe Ruth baseball is a citywide league. Information on registration is usually printed in the local newspapers and available in early March. Newport Babe Ruth


Toppa Field in Freebody Park 

What types of adult baseball and softball programs are available?

American Legion baseball is an independent league run for high school aged players in the summer at Cardines Field.

Click here for more information

 For adults, there is the George Donnelly Sunset League out of Cardines Field in the summer.  Sunset League

Collegiate baseball teams also play in the area and information can be found through the program staff at (401) 845-5800 or go right to The Newport Gulls home page for all the schedules and family fun at Newport Gulls .

Adult softball leagues play in the spring and summer at Toppa Field in Freebody Park and include Men’s, and Coed restaurant programs.

Contact Ed Harrigan at the program office at (401) 845-5800 for more information on adult teams.

What other types of sports programs are sponsored by the Recreation Department?

Fall and spring youth soccer programs are held outdoors at Braga Park and winter indoor youth soccer at the “Hut”.

Youth basketball is held outdoors at Murphy Park in the summer; indoors at the Hut in the winter. Programs are open to all ability levels and an equal play and no-cut policy is maintained.

Do you sponsor tennis?

Adult and youth tennis lessons are available in the spring, summer, and fall  under the direction of a USPTA certified instructor. Camp style programs are offered as well as week to week programming which is very popular.  Lessons are given on Vernon Courts on Vernon Street and the Rogers High School Courts at the school's Old Fort Road entrance.  

A city league for youths who are interested in improving their skills through recreational level competition is available in the fall


Do you have summer sports/specialty camps?

Yes!  We have a great offering for both sports and specialty camps!  We usually have a Dance Camp, Tennis Camps, and Soccer Camps offered for ages 4-17.  Please view this 2018 brochure for an idea of the types of programs we generally have available:  Recreation Spring and Summer Brochure.  Our most current brochures may be found on the Activities page!

Students in grades K-4 enjoy the Playground Program which runs from late June  -  late August, following the public school summer vacation schedule.   The playground program is staffed with trained leaders who are certified in CPR and first aid.  Our maximum camper to staff ratio is 10:1.  Every week is a different theme and includes special events or visitors! 

The older campers report to Extreme Teen Club which meets at The Hut. This is for boys and girls entering grades 5-8 in the fall of 2016.  There are weekly off island field trips to fun places such as Sky Zone, Paw Sox, and the big crowd pleaser...Water Wizz! For a sample of the Playground Program and The Extreme Teen Club please see page 4 in this Recreation Brochure .  


Are scholarships available and are sponsorships permitted? Can I volunteer as a coach or official?

Scholarships are available for any program run solely by the Recreation Department.

Sponsors for leagues and tournaments are always needed to offset costs and provide better equipment or prizes. Anyone interested in helping the Recreation department by coaching or officiating is welcome. All coaches and volunteers will be required to complete required paperwork and mandatory background checks. 

Training is provided. Contact the program staff for more information at (401) 845-5800 or email to eharrigan@cityofnewport.com.

How do I reserve a sports facility for an event?

Many of the indoor and outdoor sports facilities in Newport are actively used by local leagues during the season.

Often, they can be rented out for special events or private outings (no alcohol permitted). Fees vary depending on staffing and whether lights, restrooms or special set up is required. Contact the Recreation Administrator at (401) 845-5800 for availability and fees.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Flash Player Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer