The Newport Water Division strives to maintain the highest quality metering and billing system which accurately measures consumption and tracks payments for all billable services while providing exceptional customer service.
Our goal is to provide an accurate water bill in a timely and consistent manner. The collection process offers customers, who need extended payment options, alternatives consistent with policies and procedures.
Please direct all inquiries to the Billing Office, located at 70 Halsey Street, Newport, RI 02840. Our office is open from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM Monday through Friday.
You may now go online to view your bill, payment history or to make a payment electronically (with a credit card - a payment fee will apply) by visiting www.RIegov.com . On the website, click on the City of Newport Water and Sewer link and enter your account number and password. Both the account number and password can be found at the top right of your bill. Both are case sensitive and dashes are required where shown.
Billing inquiries may also be submitted electronically via e-mail to email@example.com, or faxed to the (401) 846-0947. For the forms, please submit a request to the Billing Clerk or call (401) 845-5604.
The Rate Schedule for customers of the Newport Water Division in effect is per the RIPUC Order for Docket 4595, effective October 1, 2016.
As of Fiscal Year 2015 all customers are billed monthly with payment due on or before the last day of the month.
Commonly used Billing Forms can be accessed by clicking on the following links.
Water Quality Protection Charge:
Homeowners age 65 and older may be exempt from paying the State's Water Quality Protection Surcharge on their water bill. Applications must be filled out and mailed to 70 Halsey Street, Newport RI 02840 or submitted in person at our office, 70 Halsey Street, or to the Collections Division of City Hall.
If you have previously applied for and been granted an exemption, you do not need to reapply.
Sewer Fee Abatement Requests:
The Newport Department of Utilities does not grant adjustments to metered water charges. However, the Department recognizes that an extraordinary high bill resulting from unpreventable water usage can present financial hardship to a customer. While the charge for the metered water cannot be abated, the Department does consider and will allow for one-time abatement of sewer charges attributable to a specific incident. The intent of this policy is to establish a one-time abatement, during any ten-year period, for the excess sewer consumption above normal consumption, due to an unpreventable water release that did not enter the City sewer system.
- Middletown Residents are billed sewer by the Town of Middletown and shall contact the Town for any sewer abatement request.
- The Policy/procedure for Sewer Fee Abatements pertains to sewer accounts with a Newport service address.
- Sewer Abatements are not issued for water usage associated with construction, irrigation, swimming pools, etc.
- It shall be the responsibility of the Customer to submit a completed Sewer Abatement Request Form with the supporting documentation providing reasonable proof and substantiating evidence that supports the request for an abatement.
- Customers who file abatement applications or requests for adjustments are required to have paid all uncontested prior bills (including penalties and interest, if applicable), and also make a payment on contested bill equal to prior billed amount.
- All customer requests to abate any portion of a metered utility bill that is unusually high due to unpreventable leakage shall be reviewed by Department staff on a case-by-case basis. The determination of the adequacy of the evidence shall be at the sole discretion of the Director of Utilities.
- In order to qualify for abatement, a customer's excess consumption must exceed in excess of 100% or 10,000 gallons above their normal average consumption.
- The customer must provide documentation that the excess water did not enter the City sewage system.
- The customer must also prove that the deficiency responsible for leakage has been repaired or corrected.
- This policy only applies to leaks that have occurred within the previous three (3) months of the date of the abatement request.
- In the event that a customer cannot determine the source or cause of the abnormally high consumption, no abatement will be provided.
- In the event the source or cause of the abnormally high consumption is related to a leak due to customer negligence such as the failure to maintain internal (private) plumbing fixtures in good repair and/or protect plumbing from freezing, the customer shall be held responsible for the entire bill.
- In the event the abnormally high consumption has occurred due to "unpreventable leakage" not caused by customer negligence, ignorance or unfortunate circumstances, as determined by Department staff, the Department shall consider granting a one-time abatement, per account, during any ten-year period. The abatement calculation may consider compensation from any other sources, including insurance policy claims, etc. Normal consumption will be the average of the previous three years' consumption history, for similar billing periods, unless deemed otherwise by Director.
- The customer may be required to submit a written statement from their homeowner's insurance policy provider stating what portion, if any, of the leak is covered by insurance.
The Water Division charges fees for miscellaneous services provided to customers. These fees are listed in the Rate Schedule. The current fee schedule is effective as of July 1, 2014 per the Rhode Island Public Utilities Commission (RIPUC) Order for Docket 4243 & 4355. The fees for miscellaneous services are as follows:
Temporary Water Service: This is a fee applicable to all temporary meters furnished by the Water Division for temporary purposes including, but not limited to, items such as construction or renovation. $11.22/1000 gal; meter rental $10.00 per day; Labor costs plus 75%. There is a $1000 deposit required for rental of a temporary meter and a Temporary Water Service Application must be submitted.
Meter Testing: This fee is applicable to all meters returned to the Water Division for testing and for in site testing of meters larger than 2". Meters under 2" $65.00 in advance. Meters greater than 2" Labor cost plus 75% and contractor cost plus 25%.
Seasonal Turn-on and Turn-off: This fee is for meters installed, removed or turned off for the season at the customers' request. $40.00 during business hours 7:00am - 3:30pm; Labor costs plus 75% after business hours which is after 3:30pm with a 3 hour minimum charge.
Turn-on charge: This fee is applicable to all water services turned on after cessation for violations (such as non payment) which resulted in a shut off. Charges are payable prior to turn-on. $40.00 during business hours 7:00am - 3:30pm; Labor costs plus 75% after business hours which is after 3:30pm.
Meter Service: This is applicable to all meter installations and also maintenance due to breakage, tampering, overheating or freezing due to owner neglect or abuse. Material and equipment costs plus 25%; Labor costs plus 75%; $50.00 tapping fee for new service; Police detail at cost.
Interest on delinquent accounts: Amounts not paid by the due date will accumulate interest from the due date to the payment date. The due date is 30 days after the billing date and is listed on each statement. 18% per annum.
Interim Water Bills: A fee will be charged for all interim water bills requested by customers. $35.00 per request.
Sample Testing: A fee is assessed for the laboratory testing of water samples at the request of customers. Material and testing charge plus 25%; Labor costs plus 75%.
Flow Testing: This is the charge assessed for the flow testing of service connections performed at customer request. Labor costs plus 75%; $40.00 minimum.
Pressure Testing: This charge is assessed for the pressure testing of new or existing service connections done at customer request. Labor costs plus 75%; $40.00 minimum.
Water Service Application Fee: This is a charge assessed for the review of an application for water service. It is applicable to both applications for new service and applications for renewal of service. This fee is payable prior to the processing of the application. Residential $60.00; Commercial $100.00.
Statement Charge: This fee is assessed for supplying the customer with a duplicate copy of an invoice or statement. It applies to paper and electronic copies. This fee will be added to subsequent bills. $2.50 per statement/invoice.
Photocopying: This is a fee assessed for the photocopying of other documents. It is on a per copy basis and is payable when the copies are made. Letter or Legal size - $0.15/page; Distribution sheet - $3.00/plan.