The Zoning Board of Review is responsible for overseeing and administering the City's zoning code in a fair and equitable fashion.
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval. View All Agendas and Minutes
Helpful Zoning Information
Easy Zoning Guidelines (.pdf) | Policies & Procedures (.pdf)
6:30P.M. via Zoom Webinar
*Telephone Access is available Toll Free by dialing: 1-888-788-0099 (Toll Free) or 1-833-548-0276 (Toll Free) or 1-877-853- 5247 (Toll Free) Webinar ID: 844 5733 0375 https://zoom.us/ 84457330375?
V. Decisions (Receive, review, and sign)
VI. Request for Extension of Approval
VI. Continued Petitions:
1. PETITION OF SALVE REGINA UNIVERSITY, applicant and owner; for a special use permit for permission to construct a 214 bed dormitory with a staff dwelling unit applying to the properties located at 23, 45, & 51 Shephard Ave. and 26 Lawrence Ave., 74 & 80 Victoria Ave., TAP 36, Lots 36, 96, 98, 102, 103 & 104, (R-60 zone). Plans
2. PETITION OF SALVE REGINA UNIVERSITY, applicant and owner; for a special use permit for permission to construct a 196 bed dormitory with a staff dwelling unit applying to the properties located at 204, 206 & 218 Ruggles Ave. and Lawrence Ave., TAP 36, Lots 48, 49, 89, 111 & 126, (R-60 zone). Plans
3. PETITION OF HARBOUR REALTY, LLC, applicant; HARBOUR REALTY, LLC., TOMORL, LLC., 20 WEST EXTENSION, LLC., WAITES WHARF REALTY ASSOCIATION, LLC., AND THOMAS B. ABRUZESE, owners; for a special use permit and a variance to the dimensional requirements for permission to demolish the existing structures and construct a 150-room transient guest facility, (91 rooms allowed), with a standard restaurant, banquet and wedding facilities, and provide 266 off-street parking spaces on a noncontiguous lot, (all off-street parking must be on the same lot as the use required), and to allow of use of public right of way to maneuver into and out of spaces, (Use of public right of way not allowed), applying to the property located on 0, 1, 16 & 25 Waite’s Wharf, 23 Coddington Wharf, and 20 West Extension St., TAP 32, Lots 155, 267, 268, 272, 248, & 293, (WB zone).
4. PETITION OF WELOVENEWPORT, LLC, applicant and owner; for a variance to the dimensional requirements for permission to demolish the existing structure and construct a new 2-1/2 story, 18,000 sq. ft. single-family dwelling. Said dwelling to be located, 30' from the west property line, (50' required), and 50' from the east property line, (75' required). Total lot coverage of property to be increase from 8% to 13%, (8% allowed), applying to the property located at 1 Harborview Dr., TAP 42, Lot 10, (R-120 zone).
5. APPEAL OF WELOVENEWPORT,LLC, appellant, CLAYTON DEUTSCH, owner; appealing the decision of the zoning officer’s approval of Building Permit 123863 applying to the property at 2 Harbor View Dr., TAP 42, Lot 39, (R-120 zone).
6. PETITITON OF BP , REALTY, LLCapplicant and owner for a special use permit and variance to the dimensional requirements for permission to install a 14'2” by 7’6” retractable awning structure over the northern portion of the existing outdoor bar area which will be located 0' from the north property line, (5' required), applying to the property located at Banisters Wharf, DBA The Black Pearl, TAP 24, Lot 276, (WB zone).
7. APPEAL OF MR. JASON PERKINS, appellant; NRI 12 GOODWIN ST PARTNERSHIP, owner; appealing the issuance of building permit #125985 applying to the property located at 12 Goodwin St., TAP 35, Lot 244, (WB zone).
8. PETITION OF JUAN & ALBA CAMPOS, applicants and owners; for special use permit and a variance to the dimensional requirements for permission to demolish the existing garage and construct a 32’ x 20’, 2-1/2 story, detached single-family dwelling on the property, (One principal building per lot allowed), which will increase the lot coverage from 26% to 27%, (20% allowed), applying to the property located at Plans132 Evarts St., TAP 10, Lot 203, (R-10 zone).
9. APPEAL OF TIMOTHY & MAUREEN WEST, appellants and owners; appealing the decision of the Historic District Commission denying permission to replace a slate roof with an asphalt roof and remove existing dormers, applying to the property located at 45 Everett St., TAP 22, Lot 17, (R-10 zone).
Meetings begin promptly at the time posted and will not last for more than four (4) hours. The Board normally will take a short break after 1½ to 2 hours of hearings to reaccess the agenda and their ability to reach the remaining items pending before it.
The Board will not entertain/begin a new petition after 10:30 p.m. and will conclude all hearings at 11:00 p.m. therefore some petitions cannot be heard due to these time constraints and will be continued to the next regular meeting date.
The Zoning Board of Review features 7 members, (five regular, plus two alternates) appointed by the City Council to staggered three year terms.
Meetings are held the fourth Monday of the month in the Second Floor Council Chambers at Newport City Hall, 43 Broadway.
43 Broadway, Newport, RI 02840
Phone: (401) 845-5300 (M-F 8:30 am - 4:30 pm)
Accessibility Statement | Privacy Statement | Sitemap © 2019 City of Newport, RI. All Rights Reserved.