English

City Hall

Located at 43 Broadway, just up from the City's historic town center at Washington Square, Newport's City Hall was constructed at the end of the 19th Century by local architect J.D. Johnston. 

In 1925, a disastrous fire tore through much of the interior, leaving the upper floors severely damaged and resulted in the first recorded death of a Newport firefighter in the line of duty. A slight redesign by Boston architect W.C. Appleton yielded the edifice that still greets visitors today.